Skip to main content

Dating as Me

I was never the romantic type. As a little girl, I didn't dream about my wedding day, nor my prince charming. Nevertheless, I always knew I wanted to have a family of my own. I am especially looking forward to being a mother. This desire to get married and have children, that has now turned into a sort of obsession, might stem from me being the eldest of five kids in my family, watching so many young people getting married and my Hassidic, ultra-orthodox Jewish upbringing. At 27 years old, having children is on my mind more than ever. There's this void in my heart that can only be filled once I do become a mother. In the meantime, I try to focus on being the best person I can be, my education and career. But I can't wait to raise children. I know raising children is not easy. Yet, I am eager to fulfill all my motherly duties, from changing diapers to helping the kids with homework to supporting them through their emotional struggles and accomplishments. I want the good, the not so fun and all that comes with motherhood.

I realize that not only does my relationship with my children matter but so does my relationship with my husband. I cannot wait to create a home with my husband, founded on Jewish values, respect, love, discipline, creativity and self-growth. Through my experiences in dating and life in general, I learned what kind of mother and partner I want to be. I know I have a lot of self-growth to do but at the same time I feel ready to be a mother. It seems like there are always people my age and even younger getting married and I feel more and more like a failure for not having "accomplished" what they have. I know jealousy is a horrible thing and yet I often wonder why them but not me. I start thinking how great their married life must be and in comparison mine feels bleak. I worry about being "old" when my first child is born and being the oldest mother in his/her class. I wonder if I will be able to live to see my children getting married and grandchildren. Time is zooming by and I am out of breath.

I sometimes wonder if I would be married with children now if I was still part of the ultra-orthodox Hassidic Jewish community. I was born and raised into a tight-knit Montreal community and attended all girls school. I was born and bred to be a wife and a mother, first and foremost. Hassidic Jews typically get married very young (19- early 20's) and start having children at a very young age. Additionally, they are set up. My mother, for example was married at 17 and had me at 18 years of age. But my destiny changed when I was ten years old. I went to a co-ed school and had to adjust to an entirely different mindset and lifestyle. It affected the way I perceived my womanhood and the way I viewed dating. While I was born into a life with a scripted path, I suddenly had a lot of unknowns. It is now up to me to navigate through the messy dating world and find my own partner...

 

Picture of me (the baby) and my family
                                                         
                                                                                      
                                                   











Comments

  1. Interesting :) robbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journey makes you who you are and every challenge and obstacle we are faced with in our lives all makes us grow stronger. I have had my share of obstacles where I never even thought or currently think I can overcome, but I know I had to go through it to grow and become a better man.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love Narrative

I hate the term “daddy issues”. It’s a term that’s thrown around too easily. I feel shame and judgment for coming from a “broken home”, another term I hate. I feel exposed, as if I had it stamped on my forehead. People assume that if a father isn’t involved in their daughter’s life, the daughter doesn’t have much of a chance of having a healthy marriage. Yes, I'm well aware of the statistics. But I refuse to be a statistic. I refuse to have anyone tell me what my destiny is. That’s between G-d and I. I’m action-focused and I believe that our choices and actions carry more weight than our “predispositions”. Think about it. A person comes to trial accused of domestic violence and his defense is that growing up he witnessed his father being abusive to his mother. While this defense might garner sympathy, people need to take ownership of their life and be held accountable for their actions. Additionally, I  choose  to use my relationship with my father as an example of what I don't

My Knight in Shinning Armour

He was so special to me, my knight in shinning armour. He was different. Unfortunately, I met a great man under bad circumstances. And I know you might say that if he was right for me, it would've worked out no matter the circumstances. But perhaps I could have done things differently. Let me rewind... Last year, I was working as an educator in a daycare. I had a great boss and adorable little students. As grateful as I was, the job was tiring and after several months, the fatigue and stress started to get to me. To top it off, I was going through a bit of an existential crisis. Even though on the outside, I had things going for me, I felt a lack of fulfillment. Life was mundane and robotic. Although I am (and was then) religious, I felt like I needed a break from my reality to focus on my spirituality more. I never imagined doing this but after much thought and anxiety, I decided to go to a Jewish Seminary in the mystical, scenic and peaceful city of Tsfat (in Israel). There I stu