Skip to main content

My Knight in Shinning Armour

He was so special to me, my knight in shinning armour. He was different. Unfortunately, I met a great man under bad circumstances. And I know you might say that if he was right for me, it would've worked out no matter the circumstances. But perhaps I could have done things differently. Let me rewind... Last year, I was working as an educator in a daycare. I had a great boss and adorable little students. As grateful as I was, the job was tiring and after several months, the fatigue and stress started to get to me. To top it off, I was going through a bit of an existential crisis. Even though on the outside, I had things going for me, I felt a lack of fulfillment. Life was mundane and robotic. Although I am (and was then) religious, I felt like I needed a break from my reality to focus on my spirituality more. I never imagined doing this but after much thought and anxiety, I decided to go to a Jewish Seminary in the mystical, scenic and peaceful city of Tsfat (in Israel). There I studied topics related to Judaism and Torah (Bible) with other women. I had my downs but mostly ups. It was a soulful experience. I not only filled some of the void in my life but I also came out inspired to keep going on my spiritual journey. 

Despite all the positives, my time in the Seminary was a time where I felt very vulnerable. My soul was crying for a deep connection. I also felt self-conscious because on a more superficial level, I was dressed religiously, a way that I am not used to dress, out of respect for the Seminary (long skirts, etc). My skin was going through a bad dryness phase and my hair was fried (I think the sun in Israel was to blame, in large part). Here I am, self-conscious, out of place when I met him. We got along right from the start. He is a sweet, cute and generous man. I planned my trip for 2 months and ended up extending it for another 2 months, in large part because I thought I met someone great. I had to make a lot of last minute arrangements, and to an anxious, always-planning-in-advance type person it was absolutely overwhelming. I didn't always know where I was going to sleep, for example! At one point, I became exhausted living day by day and I eventually accepted his offer to stay by him, over my break from Seminary. 

Perhaps I should have stuck to my initial refusal of staying by him. You see, I felt like I knew him well at that point because we had been talking so much and we were going out too. I spent a large part of the Jewish holidays with him and his family. Since I was in his hometown, I followed him where he went. We also spent a lot of time apart, as he was working. But because I didn't have much to do, when he was gone, I found myself wishing I could be with him! Thing is, I'm actually the kind of person that often needs space and quiet but under these circumstances, I was surprisingly dependent on him, a man. I imagine that he must have been affected too by this dependency. Having another person around so much, in his space, couldn't of been easy on him. Although we got along quite well, we had a lot of issues too. I was seeking some comfort and stability and ended up dependent on him. In the end, it didn't work between us. Sometimes, it might be worth fighting your own battles, instead of hiding behind a knight's armour. 


Picture of me in Israel, while in Seminary
                                                                         

Comments

  1. Sometimes you meet great people but maybe it isn't meant to be the ONE. Take this as a learning experience. This can help you see how you deserve and CAN be treated by a man so that you never settle for less than.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. You are right, it is a learning experience :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love Narrative

I hate the term “daddy issues”. It’s a term that’s thrown around too easily. I feel shame and judgment for coming from a “broken home”, another term I hate. I feel exposed, as if I had it stamped on my forehead. People assume that if a father isn’t involved in their daughter’s life, the daughter doesn’t have much of a chance of having a healthy marriage. Yes, I'm well aware of the statistics. But I refuse to be a statistic. I refuse to have anyone tell me what my destiny is. That’s between G-d and I. I’m action-focused and I believe that our choices and actions carry more weight than our “predispositions”. Think about it. A person comes to trial accused of domestic violence and his defense is that growing up he witnessed his father being abusive to his mother. While this defense might garner sympathy, people need to take ownership of their life and be held accountable for their actions. Additionally, I  choose  to use my relationship with my father as an example of what I don't

Dating as Me

I was never the romantic type. As a little girl, I didn't dream about my wedding day, nor my prince charming. Nevertheless, I always knew I wanted to have a family of my own. I am especially looking forward to being a mother. This desire to get married and have children, that has now turned into a sort of obsession, might stem from me being the eldest of five kids in my family, watching so many young people getting married and my Hassidic, ultra-orthodox Jewish upbringing. At 27 years old, having children is on my mind more than ever. There's this void in my heart that can only be filled once I do become a mother. In the meantime, I try to focus on being the best person I can be, my education and career. But I can't wait to raise children. I know raising children is not easy. Yet, I am eager to fulfill all my motherly duties, from changing diapers to helping the kids with homework to supporting them through their emotional struggles and accomplishments. I want the good, the